Thursday, September 15, 2011

Stop!!!!! Take A Break!

Ok we all know what it feels like to have too much on your plate. I know i do.

This summer i had to seriously take a break. I was doing way more than i can handle. I don't know how i still had time for "me" not much but i did. Most of us go without a substantial amount of sleep on a regular basis; and between our lack of energy from poor sleeping habits, and our hectic lifestyles, we often feel like we're pushing ourselves or dragging as we go through our days at home, at work, and with our kids. If you're like me, you probably feel like sleep or pampering should be placed at the bottom of your "to do" list and at the end of each month....which never happens because your mind goes into overdrive at the end of each month. There just isn't enough hours in the day to spend too much of it in bed. And, you, like many others, might feel that admitting you're not getting enough sleep or allowing yourself a quick nap during the day is a sign of weakness. Instead of sleeping more, you might turn to medications that give you a quick pick me up, or coffee and candy to get you going.

Look, coffee does not fix anything. I quit drinking it (although i only had one a day) about 3 months ago. Cold turkey. When i started "hot yoga" i realized what it was doing to me and QUIT! If you want to know, research it or maybe i can make that next weeks blog :-)

What worked for me was to write down my top 5 priorities. My kids, my job, completing my book, and me. When i say "me" i mean my social life, my physical health, getting into shape mentally, my family etc
I took a break this summer and focused on those top 3 things. I was the woman who worked 5 jobs and wore many hats. But not anymore. I finally finished my book that i had been writing for 4 years ONLY because i had time this summer to do so.

STOP and take a look at what matters in your life. What's important? Write down what you would like to see take place in the next 5 years. Where do you see yourself? Then start from there.


But whatever you do RELAX and laugh with your kids. Stop rushing. They know when were doing that...and another thing, get off the phone when their around. They don't like it. Unless it is a business or emergency matter. Especially for the young ones.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis