Friday, August 30, 2013
How I Stay Mentally, Emotionally, Physically and Spiritually Fit!
I've come to realize that people who are emotionally healthy are in control of their emotions and their behavior. They are able to handle life’s challenges, recover from set-back's and build strong relationships. But just as it requires effort to build or maintain physical health, so it is with mental, spiritual and emotional health.
What is mental or emotional health?
I truly believe that people with good emotional health have the ability to bounce back from adversity, trauma, and loss. And that ability is called resilience. People who are emotionally and mentally healthy have the tools for coping with difficult situations and maintaining a positive outlook. They remain focused, flexible, and determined in hard times as well. Is it easy? NO! But easy is NOT an option.
What is Spiritual Health?
You have an individual purpose that is cut out only for YOU. If you are living a life that lacks purpose (meaning), there really is no purpose. It is very important for you to discover what you love and enjoy and apply it to your everyday life.
Personally, it's my Spirituality that comes FIRST because of it- I acquire the knowledge I need to live a healthy balanced life. God FIRST!
What is Physical Health?
In my personal opinion, a lot of people workout and go on diets only to be skinny and loose weight. Who said skinny was healthy? I have never read an article that said skinny was healthy. Fit is healthy and whether that means 150 pounds or 115 pounds, it's always based on your fitness level, height and eating habits. Period. I weigh 115 pounds but please keep in mind that I am 5 feet. Therefore if I weighed 150 pounds, it would be a whole different story.
Physical activity is essential to prevent and reduce risks of many diseases and improve physical and mental health. It can even help you live longer.
I have met women in their 30's who cannot cross their legs or touch their toes. Oh did I mention some of these women weigh no more then 120 pounds? There you go!
So, here are some of the things I do for my overall well-being:
- Raw Juicing daily
- Cardio and muscle classes 3-4 times a week
- Never take elevators (stairs only)
- Water and Almond milk ONLY (no other drinks. Occasional glass of wine)
- Power walks
- I read A LOT!
- I write A LOT!
- No music in the car. ONLY motivational CD's
- Listen to 10 minutes of an empowering message every morning
- I pray
- Have monthly meet-ups with my Book Club Ladies (friends)
- I laugh A LOT!!!!!! (like seriously. Even at myself)
- No matter the problem at hand, I keep it moving
- Eat healthy (could do better)
- I get in the dirt with my 5 year old and play silly games
- I spend quality time with my boys
- I allow my 21 year old son to TEACH me
- I surround myself with positive people and HATE drama and gossip!
- I follow my spirit (I've learned the hard way)
- I spend A LOT of time alone (my favorite time of the day)
- I spend time on hobbies (crafting, coloring and writing)
- I splurge
- I tithe
- I always try to make a difference (world-changers)
- I FORGIVE!
- I give of myself (especially to those in need)
- I pamper myself
- I love myself deeply
- I Spend quality time with my family
- I let Go
- I eat one banana a day
- Regular exams with my Doctor
- I take bubble baths
- I pay attention
- I am a student. I will be a student forever (always taking courses and learning)
I could probably go on... I suggest you write a list of all the things you do that make you happy. Things that contribute to your mental, physical, spiritual and emotional health.
There is absolutely NO WAY, I would be all of what I am, if it was NOT for my primary purpose; MY RELATIONSHIP with my Father (God). No way! I don't even know if I'd be here....So Glory to the Most High :-)